journal log of boot requests?

Andrew Geissler geissonator at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 01:31:45 AEST 2019

I intermittently deal with issues where someone comes to me and says the
"BMC is randomly rebooting my server". I then get to peel through the journal
and look for things like this:

Thu Jun 27 10:45:59 2019 witherspoon phosphor-host-state-manager: Host
State transaction request
Thu Jun 27 10:45:59 2019 witherspoon netipmid: Transition request
initiated successfully

And point out to the person that it appears an out of band IPMI command
actually requested the state change.

Certain paths like a external REST/Redfish commands or I think an inband host
initiated reboot will only provide the phosphor-host-state-manager entry which
makes it even more complicated to debug the "who did it" aspect.

You can dig into the details of the journal entry and get the request but
I think it would be nice to have a little more detail in the journal from the
server side application that gets the request.

I was thinking of adding a more detailed journal log in ipmi and bmcweb when
these requests come in. I know we don't want to clog up the journal but state
changes to the server are a big deal IMHO and should be fairly rare.

Thoughts?
Andrew