Security Working Group - Wednesday July 24 - results

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Thu Jul 25 05:18:54 AEST 2019

> This is a reminder of the OpenBMC Security Working Group meeting
> scheduled for this Wednesday July 24 at 10:00am PDT.
>
> * * * The call-in access changed on July 10 (the previous meeting) -
> details below * * *
>
> Current topics:
> - Development work (including approved network security considerations)
> - SPDM
> - Default user config: root, ipmi group, password limited to char[20]

We discussed using the emerging SPDM standard which negotiates security
with other endpoints via MCTP/PLDM or similar (example: trusted platform
module (TPM), or host firmware elements). As OpenBMC uses MCTP/PLDM we
would naturally be interested in using the SPDM standard.

We discussed changing OpenBMC's default users, for example, root/0penBmc
is in the IPMI group. Joseph will push a design for this. We discussed
difficulties in how to identify and track security fixes (as CVEs) as
they flow into OpenBMC from Yocto and other upstream projects. We
touched on how Yocto long term support (LTS) might be desirable. Joseph
advertised the BMC Threat Model review:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/22404- Joseph