ipmi-fru-parser + entity-manager

James Feist james.feist at linux.intel.com
Wed Jul 24 02:42:17 AEST 2019

On 7/23/2019 7:20 AM, Patrick Venture wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 6:34 PM Benjamin Fair <benjaminfair at google.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 3:25 PM Patrick Venture <venture at google.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does entity-manager manage the FRU eeprom devices?  Or does one still
>>> need to configure ipmi-fru-parser, etc?
>>>
>>> Patrick
>>
>> There is a FRU parser shipped with entity-manager which searches for
>> FRU EEPROMs and attempts to read them:
>> https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/master/src/FruDevice.cpp
>
> I saw that, but is that a replacement for the support provided by
> ipmi-fru-parser?  I'm assuming yes, I just want an authoritative,
> "yes, you get this and don't worry about ipmi-fru-parser when using
> entity-manager."

I haven't used ipmi-fru-parser, so I'm not sure. Basically fru-device
scans all i2c channels, looks for things that 'look like a fru' and
populates them on d-bus. It doesn't do much more than that.
Entity-manager can then "probe" it's properties and load configurations.
If that is what ipmi-fru-parser does then it might be a replacement.

-James