Super Short OEM IPMI Proposal

Vernon Mauery vernon.mauery at linux.intel.com
Fri Jul 19 03:06:27 AEST 2019

On 17-Jul-2019 04:02 PM, Patrick Venture wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 2:56 PM Ed Tanous <ed.tanous at intel.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 7/17/19 1:37 PM, Vernon Mauery wrote:
>> > As much as I don't want to tell someone to cut and paste code, I can't
>> > really think of a good way to share something like an OEM command that
>> > doesn't really have a shared spec.
>>
>> +1.  Unless we're looking to do an OpenBMC shared OEM spec, which I
>> think would be interesting to discuss, I'm not sure how to effectively
>> share these kinds of thing especially when the needs of the commands
>> change over time.
>
>My thinking was it within the OpenBMC OEM numbering thing.

If there are OpenBMC specific IPMI commands that you think we should
implement under an OpenBMC OEM NetFn, I think that would be reasonable
to have in a common place. Nothing is coming to mind right now, but any
features that are specific to OpenBMC that are not covered by the IPMI
standard could fit in that. Maybe thing like a mechanism for
enabling/disabling various phosphor services or something, for example.

--Vernon