Questions about changing default username or password

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Thu Jul 11 02:01:28 AEST 2019

I believe we share the desire for network access to the BMC to be secure
by default, specifically to move away from the model where a well-known
userid has a default password (#1 below).  I understand an [OpenBMC
Security modes
design](https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/21195)
document, currently in review, addresses host access to the BMC.
Although that design addresses a related topic, am I restricting myself
to the BMC's network operations.

Here are several models -- with my comments:

1. The userid has a default password. -- This is what we have now and it
is not secure.  Note that merely changing to a different default
password in your customized firmware image is also not secure because
that password will become known to attackers

2. Each BMC device has an unique password. -- This may be difficult to
consume for large scale deployments

3. The userid has a default expired password which does not let you use
the device until you change the password.

4. The device has an initial setup which challenges you to change the
password. -- Example:
https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects/raspberry-pi-setting-up/6

5. The userid has no password access, and uses only certificate-based
authentication.

These models have different security characteristics.  For example, the
expired password model  (#3 above) and the initial setup model (#4
above) work by reducing the time window an attacker has, with the
explicit assumption that the BMC is configured soon after powering it
on.  The unique password model (#2 above) and the certificate auth (#5
above) requires a way to generate and set the credentials, and then
communicate them to the new device owner.

Which model seems best to you?

It may be that we support multiple models.  Whatever happens, I would
like to eventually move away from supporting the default password model
(#1 above).

I am exploring the "expired password" model (#3 above) and plan to push
a design for review.

A challenge to make this work is to tie together BMCWeb, IPMI, and SSH
access.  For example, it won't help to secure BMCWeb and network IPMI
but leave a default SSH password.  Also, some installations enable a
subset of the function (example: disable network IPMI and SSH, leaving
only BMCWeb), so the function to let you change the password has to be
on the interfaces which are still enabled (example: BMCWeb).

Please let me know your thoughts.

- Joseph