Question on upstreaming and release planning

Patrick Venture venture at google.com
Tue Jan 29 02:36:14 AEDT 2019

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 7:21 AM David Thompson <dthompson at mellanox.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I work for Mellanox Technologies and we’ve have been using OpenBMC
>
> for a while now.  We hope to upstream the code contributions that
>
> support our machine (called “bluewhale-ast2500”) which is a hardware
>
> platform based on ASPEED AST2500.
>

> We have a new meta-layer at:
>
> $TOP/meta-mellanox/meta-bluewhale-ast2500/
>
> which holds the supporting files for our machine.
>

> What’s the process to get our machine into the upstream?
>
> Do I need to attend a release planning meeting and discuss?
>
> I see there’s a meeting on Mon 1/28, that’s why I ask now.
>

> FWIW, I have submitted a signed CCLA, and it’s been accepted already.

I can't speak for the release planning group, however we're pretty far
from the next release as we're currently releasing against thud.
IIRC, only bug fixes will go into it at this point.

Looking at meta-mellanox, I don't see a MAINTAINERS file.  I think a
good first step would be setting that up in coordination with Brad.
Then I'd send up the implementation in small pieces.  Such that, at
each point your image can be built, albeit not complete.  For
instance, add your machine configuration without any overrides to pick
out things.  Then add a recipe and the override, then repeat until
it's all in place.  Using the maintainers file, you'll add appropriate
people to the review, and then other interested parties will likely
jump onto the reviews to provide _community_ feedback.

At least that's my $0.02 on it.