couple questions for Event Log

Bills, Jason M jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com
Wed Jan 23 07:26:55 AEDT 2019

On 1/21/2019 1:43 AM, George Liu wrote:
> Hi:
> 1. Could anyone use impitool sel list to read values after calling the
> sd_journal_send method?

No, not really.  sd_journal_send only adds a log entry with metadata to
the journal.

phosphor-sel-logger adds special metadata to identify the entry as an
IPMI sel record.  A special implementation of the 'Get SEL Entry' IPMI
command is needed to find the journal entries with SEL metadata and
construct the IPMI SEL records.  An example implementation is here:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/intel-ipmi-oem/+/16280.

> 2. Calling the startThresholdEventMonitor method of the
> phosphor-sel-logger module, why get the values of max, min, sensorVal
> are all 0? But I can get the correct values through dbus.

Calling startThresholdEventMonitor() should start a D-Bus match to watch
for any changes to 'xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Threshold' properties.
The 'Alarm' properties are used to know when a sensor threshold is
crossed and log that event automatically.

When the match is triggered, the callback uses the same bus and path to
get the properties from the 'xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value' interface
which has the MaxValue, MinValue, and Value properties for the sensor.

So, is the issue you see that after the match is triggered and the
'xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value' properties are read from that path,
they are all 0, but if you manually read the properties from the same
path, they are correct?