build and enviroment questions

Andrew Geissler geissonator at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 00:47:00 AEDT 2019

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:35 AM Brenden Lai <Brenden_Lai at jabil.com> wrote:

> Hi all ,
>
> I have couple questions about build code
>
> Question 1 :
>
> If  I follow the steps of GITHUB openbmc readme to build code , it always failed due to bitbake not found as below :
> export TEMPLATECONF=meta-ibm/meta-palmetto/conf
> ./openbmc-env
> brenden at brenden-VirtualBox:~/OCP/openbmc$ bitbake obmc-phosphor-image
> WARNING:root:could not open file '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/nodesource.list'
>
> bitbake: command not found
> But after I try use :
> source ./setup palmetto
> Then the build process goes smoothly .What the difference between this two method ?

I'm not sure, the directions are ". openbmc-env" but I'm not sure if
that's really much different
then what you're doing. I don't think by default it's executable though.

> Question 2 :
> The build configuration info MACHINE always show “zaius” , even if  build for palmetto and  romulus
>
> Build Configuration:
> BB_VERSION           = "1.40.0"
> BUILD_SYS            = "x86_64-linux"
> NATIVELSBSTRING      = "ubuntu-16.04"
> TARGET_SYS           = "arm-openbmc-linux-gnueabi"
> MACHINE              = "zaius"
> DISTRO               = "openbmc-phosphor"
> DISTRO_VERSION       = "0.1.0"
> TUNE_FEATURES        = "arm armv6 thumb arm1176jzs"
> TARGET_FPU           = "soft"
> meta
> meta-poky
> meta-oe
> meta-networking
> meta-perl
> meta-python
> meta-webserver
> meta-phosphor
> meta-aspeed
> meta-openpower
> meta-ingrasys
> meta-zaius           = "master:50ea7cc89521929e29d0836367fa8b06776ce4c2"
>
> Here is my scripts:
> For: romulus
> source ./setup romulus
> bitbake obmc-phosphor-imag
> For
>                source ./setup palmetto
>
> bitbake obmc-phosphor-imag
>
> Is it a normal behavior or my environment setting wrong ?

If you're reusing a build directory then it will only use whatever it
was first setup for. You need
to remove the conf directory before entering into the build env if you
want it to look at your
new TEMPLATECONF (i.e. rm -r build/conf && . openbmc-env)

> Question 3 :
> I understand it long time for first build , due to it may install some prerequisite
> But Why it still take so long time to build while the build target machine is different from previous build ?
> I saw it take over 5000 task(see below ) just like first build , Does it make sense ?
>
> Initialising tasks: 100% |#######################################| Time: 0:00:05
> Sstate summary: Wanted 1476 Found 0 Missed 1476 Current 345 (0% match, 18% complete)
> NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks
> NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks
> Currently  1 running tasks (440 of 5152)   8% |##                              |

If you're moving between an AST2400 or AST2500 system you'll
definitely see a big impact
due to different version packages in each. Even going between fairly
similar systems usually
has a pretty big hit the first time. Internally we've created a shared
nfs folder that has the
downloads and sstate cache and we have a job that periodically builds
all systems and
updates those caches. When we setup our dev environment we utilize
that customrc feature
from openbmc-env to setup the SOURCE_MIRROR_URL and SSTATE_MIRRORS flags
to use those share caches. The infrastructure workgroup has an action
item to generate
these cache files up on openpower.xyz so people could download them to
speed up their
own builds.