couple questions for OpenBMC - license

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jan 22 10:12:34 AEDT 2019

On 2019-01-17 19:55, Brenden Lai wrote:
> Thanks Nancy .
>
> FROM: Nancy Yuen <yuenn at google.com>
>  SENT: Friday, January 18, 2019 2:29 AM
>  TO: John Wang <wangzqbj at inspur.com>
>  CC: Brenden Lai <Brenden_Lai at jabil.com>; openbmc at lists.ozlabs.org
>  SUBJECT: Re: couple questions for OpenBMC
>
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 2:34 AM John Wang <wangzqbj at inspur.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 3:52 PM Brenden Lai <Brenden_Lai at jabil.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have couple questions about OpenBMC .
>>

>>> 1.if I decide use OpenBMC solution , Does it mean I should put
>> all BMC source code on github including some commercial software ?
>
> I don't know what you mean by commercial software. In OpenBMC we
> strive to use open source software.

I understood this question was about the license agreement.  If I
interpret Brenden's question correctly, the OpenBMC project retrieves
code from many other projects and is itself licensed for use variously
with the MIT and Apache licenses which are permissive and allow someone
to use the code in a commercial project.

Additionally, the build process has an option to create a "bill of
materials" (BOM) which lists all source projects retrieved along with
their licenses.  However, I don't have direct experience with this, and
you would typically have your lawyers review your situation.

See for example:

https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/poky/LICENSE

https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/LICENCE

https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/blob/master/LICENSE