PLDM design proposal

Deepak Kodihalli dkodihal at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Jan 21 19:08:32 AEDT 2019

On 18/01/19 4:29 AM, Ben Wei wrote:
> Thanks Deepak, just couple additional questions below.

>>> Can you elaborate a bit on the pros and cons of having PLDM library as
>>> a common C lib vs them being provider libs only?
>>
>> These two are exclusive of each other, meaning what can be common is the encoding and decoding alone. The provider libs would be platform specific. I think the main advantage of having the common piece is the BMC and every other host firmware stack needn't re-implement this part.
>> So while we should strive for this, I guess some host firmware stack might not find it usable (even if it's in C) due to other constraints.
>> These constraints might not be determinable exhaustively a priori, so the disadvantage is that I'm not sure if the common lib is worth the effort as opposed to the liberty of using something like modern C++ to code this.
>>

> Great, I think having a common shared library would be nice especially if we're going to have potentially multiple daemon running linking to the shared lib.
> Also I'm wondering, would this place any constraints on the plug ins?
> For example suppose we have provider libs in libbase.so and libfru.so in C++, would other plug in modules  (e.g. libfwupdate ,libbios), do they need to be in C++ as well?

The common encode/decode libs would have to be C libs, plus any other
constraints that commonly apply to host firmware stacks (such as limited
dynamic memory allocations) apply to them. The provider libs, like I
said are different than the encode/decode libs. Since they are platform
specific, they can be implemented using whatever norms apply to a
specific platform.

> One thought on this is, do you want to limit registration to Type only (e.g. a libfru),
> or open registration on command level?
> At high level I feel having 1 lib registered for a type (e.g. libfru will handle all "PLDM For FRU Data"  commands) would be very clean.
> If there are unsupported command, the lib handler would reject accordingly, and anyone can add new/modify command handler at lib.
>
> This proposed API seems to allow multiple libraries of the same type?   e.g. libfruX.so registers  Type 4, commands 0x01, 0x05, 0x07,
> And libfruY.so has the option to register Type 4, commands 0x02, 0x04,  (or even overwrite 0x01).
> Do you want to allow  this?   (I feel it's best to just combine libFruX.so and libFruY.so  into 1 libfru.so)

I agree that overwrites should be prevented, and that in general the
registration is per-type. Although, there might be use-cases to plug-in
an implementation of OEM commands/extensions for an existing standard type.

> [...]
>>> communicating with other daemons so the PLDM handler can map each messages in msg_in queue to a PLDM request in Request Queue.
>>>
>>> In this case each PLDM handler would need multiple threads to handle these separate tasks.
>>
>> All this sounds reasonable to me. Implementation-wise, we might have to carefully consider multi-threading as opposed to using a single thread with ASIO/event loop.

>>> Do you see both Requester and Responder spawning multiple threads?
>>
>> As per the base specification, I understand that the responder and requester functions should not block each other out. The base spec says a requester terminus should wait for a response from the other end before sending a new command. The spec also says a responder may optionally be multi-threaded. So I guess the answer depends on whether we view the BMC as a single requester, or multiple virtual requesters.
>> As a responder, the BMC must definitely be able to respond to different transport channels concurrently. I'm not sure yet if concurrency is required on the same transport channel.
>>
>>> I can see them performing similar functionalities,
>>>
>>> e.g. perhaps something like this below:
>>>
>>> PLDM Requester
>>> - listens for other applications/daemons for PLDM requests, and generate and send PLDM
>>>      Requests to device (1 thread)
>>> - waits for device response,  look up original request sender via response IID and send
>>>      response back to applications/daemons (1 thread)
>>>
>>> PLDM Responder
>>>     - listens for PLDM requests from device, decode request and add it
>>> to corresponding handler's Request queue (1 thread)
>>> - each handler:
>>> 	- checks its Request Queue, process request inline (if able to) and adds response to response queue,
>>>                      If request needs data from other application, send message to other application (1 thread)
>>>               - processes incoming messages from other applications and put them to Response queue (1 thread)
>>>               - process Response queue - send response back to device
>>> (1 thread)

>>> Similar to previous "in-process callback" approach, the  Responder
>>> daemon may have to send D-Bus signals to other applications in order process a PLDM request?
>>
>> I was thinking the responder would make D-Bus method calls.
>>
>>> Is there a way for any daemons in the system to register a
>>> communication channel With PLDM handler?
>>
>> That's a good question. We should design an API for this.

>>> OK I see, so in this case a daemon monitor MCTP channel would have its
>>> own PLDM handler, and a daemon monitoring NCSI channel would spawn its
>>> PLDM handler, both streams of PLDM traffic occurs independently of
>>> each other and have its own series of instance IDs.

>>> Thanks!
>>> -Ben
>>
>> Please do let me know if you have additional questions. I plan to incorporate your feedback, and I'll most likely post the next draft on Gerrit.

Thanks,
Deepak