couple questions for OpenBMC

Nancy Yuen yuenn at google.com
Fri Jan 18 05:28:48 AEDT 2019

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 2:34 AM John Wang <wangzqbj at inspur.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 3:52 PM Brenden Lai <Brenden_Lai at jabil.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I have couple questions about OpenBMC .
>

> > 1.if I decide use OpenBMC solution , Does it mean I should put all BMC
> source code on github including some commercial software  ?

I don't know what you mean by commercial software.  In OpenBMC we strive to
use open source software.

To build OpenBMC you only need to check out one repo
github.com/openbmc/openbmc and invoke the bitbake commands to build for a
supported platform.  The repo page has build instructions on it  The
recipes in openbmc/openbmc will download the necessary package sources from
other online sources and invoke the build commands for each of those
packages.  The downloaded packages are cached locally.  It's also possible
to create a local mirror of downloaded packages for your team to use.

> > 2.Are there any tutorial or /document  for using dbus within OpenBMC ?
> please refer to this link [https://github.com/openbmc/sdbusplus] for
> documentation and examples.
> or you can use busctrl to find out it.
>
> example:
>     busctl tree xyz.openbmc_project.LED.GroupManager
>     busctl introspect   xyz.openbmc_project.LED.GroupManager
> /xyz/openbmc_project/led/groups/enclosure_fault
>
> > 3.Why there is no release note after V1.05 ?  Will the coming release
> attach release note ?

The tags you see are just random tags points, not a coordinated release.
We are in the middle of testing the 2.6 official release at the moment.  It
will be done early February and it will contain release notes.  You can
search this mailing list for release activities and also the meeting
minutes from the release planning workgroup are here
<https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Release-Planning>.