OpenBMC Globalization

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Wed Jan 16 13:07:04 AEDT 2019

Hi Ryan,

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 09:21, Ryan Arnell <ryanarnellibm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Happy new year everyone! Last month in our community call, IBM Design Team discussed about globalization for OpenBMC. The slide deck can be found here-

Thanks for sharing. I was a bit confused when I saw "globalisation".
As it turns out this is a IBM (and Sun!) term for what the open source
community commonly calls internationalization, or i18n.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalization_and_localization#Naming

Perhaps we could use the open source terminology when interacting with
the community.

> We propose using a service like g11n-pipeline. This way we will only have a single ts file to translate. Also, this way we will have more robust translation as we will have control over translated phrases. We can also test our layout properly against all the proposed languages.

Can you share some more information on g11n-pipeline?

Cheers,

Joel