obmcutil: sh vs. python version

Andrew Geissler geissonator at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 14:19:58 AEDT 2019

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 11:58 AM David Thompson <dthompson at mellanox.com> wrote:

> Does the shell version of ‘obmcutil’ support the same features/options
> that are supported by the python version of ‘obmcutil’?

Almost, all of them except the chassiskill option. That is still under review
in https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/phosphor-power-control/+/16695/.

> Also, based on
> references in ‘openbmc-test-automation’ the intended destination of
> ‘obmcutil’ is ‘/usr/sbin’.  But, I don’t see ‘obmcutil’ in the target rootfs
> (built for AST2500 EVB on Dec 22 2018) nor do I see any logic within
> OpenBMC that actually installs it.

We still get the python version installed in our openpower systems.
I think meta-phosphor/recipes-phosphor/devtools/obmc-pydevtools_git.bb
is the recipe that brings in the python based one from the skeleton repo.

> Can someone comment on ‘obmcutil’ install and usage?

The plan for our openpower systems is to switch over to the shell
based version so we can remove python from our rootfs. We're
just waiting on the chassiskill support so it will be feature
equivalent with the python version.