Fan speed control

Matthew Barth msbarth at linux.ibm.com
Wed Jan 9 08:35:45 AEDT 2019

On 12/21/18 1:17 AM, George Liu(刘锡伟) wrote:
> apologize for the late reply, we are planning to write a document for
> the fan configuration.
>

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 1:59 AM Sai Dasari <sdasari at fb.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 12/17/18, 9:47 PM, "openbmc on behalf of George Liu(刘锡伟)" <openbmc-bounces+sdasari=fb.com at lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of liuxiwei at inspur.com> wrote:
>>
>>      Hi Vijay
>>
>>      I am also learning about the fan configuration part of openbmc
>>      There is a draft https://github.com/lxwinspur/openbmc-doc.
>>      I hope it can be useful for you
>> Thanks Geroge! This is great info and hope you can upstream these docs for ease of finding and greatly benefit other community members.
>
>>      Regards
>>
>>      -George
>>
>>      On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 7:55 AM Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka at fb.com> wrote:
>>      >
>>      > Team,
>>      >
>>      > I am looking for “fan speed control” feature to enable for Tiogapass. I understand that there are many approaches for this. Please point me to all implementation and any details about each approach, may be some pros and cons.
>>      >
>>      >
>>      >
>>      > Regards
>>      >
>>      > -Vijay

As James pointed out, there are 3 fan control applications where 2 are
currently maintained repos.

obmc-control-fan_git.bb & obmc-phosphor-fand.bb
To my knowledge, these were the fan management reference implementations
that are no longer maintained and/or supported.

https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-pid-control
(This is a configurable PID based fan control application)

https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-fan-presence
(This contains configurable fan presence, fan monitoring, and RPM/PWM
fan control applications)

The doc draft that George referenced relates to the
phosphor-fan-presence repo.

Matt