2.6 Release announcement - doc versioning

krtaylor kurt.r.taylor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 02:08:02 AEDT 2019

On 2/16/19 12:30 PM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> On 2019-02-15 12:44, krtaylor wrote:
>> I have not been successful (yet) in trying to get access to our
>> openbmc.org website for adding things like announcements. So, I
>> created a quick release announcement on my personal blog to spread the
>> great news about all the hard work that went into this release!
>
> Thanks Kurt.  It looks great!
>
> I got a question from someone who was looking for docs for the 2.6.0
> release and for the earlier v2.3 release.  They went to the
> [REST-cheatsheet][] and found guidance which had already been updated
> for the planned 2.7 release.  So they were confused and frustrated
> because this interface had an incompatible change (to its authentication
> method).  I pointed them into the document history.
>
> Going forward, what is the plan for documentation versioning?  We should
> have a way for someone to get the documentation for a specific release
> level, for example, to get the docs that apply to the 2.6.0 release.
> This will become more important as we add new features and make
> incompatible changes to existing interfaces.  Should the openbmc/docs
> repository have the same branching or tagging as the other openbmc
> repos?  Then someone can just checkout that version.

Yes, understood. And, I like the tagging solution. The only other thing
I could think of would be a point-in-time tarball when we tag the
release, but that seems much less efficient, and we then have to store
those tarballs somewhere.

I'd ping Brad in IRC and see if we can discuss it there.

Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)