Using Stale bot to clean up issues

krtaylor kurt.r.taylor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 10:41:06 AEDT 2019

On 2/8/19 6:23 PM, GUNNAR MILLS wrote:

> On 2/7/2019 5:13 PM, Ed Tanous wrote:
>> Have we looked at what a majority of our issues are getting stale from?
>

> Just in  openbmc/openbmc there is 467 issues. 281 are older than a year
> and 78 are older than 2 years.
> Some of them are a lack of feedback from the submitter. A pretty large
> percentage I don’t know if they are still an issue.

Maybe what we need is a fix it week! Oh yeah, we have tried that. :) But
seriously, maybe just old issue review is good enough for now?
Priorities can change (increase) over time and some old forgotten issues
my be important enough to fix now, or may add an important twist for a
new design.

I understand the desire to keep it open due to lack of resources for
fixing it, but a year? 2 years? Yeah, let's close 'em.

> I feel this many issues is unmanageable. From the stale bot README:
> "In the experience of the maintainers of this app—and the hundreds of
> other projects and organizations that use it—focusing on issues that are
> actively affecting humans is an effective method for prioritizing work.
>
> To some, a robot trying to close stale issues may seem inhospitable or
> offensive to contributors. But the alternative is to disrespect them by
> setting false expectations and implicitly ignoring their work. This app
> makes it explicit: if work is not progressing, then it's stale. A
> comment is all it takes to keep the conversation alive."

As long as the issue is closed and not deleted. I just want someone to
be able to find an issue and reopen it, and retain all the previous
discussion history. Of course, that assumes that someone will search
closed issues before opening a new one, but still.

> I feel strongly we should do something like this to manage our issues.

SGTM.

Where are you planning on hosting it?

Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)