Serial Over Lan (SOL) no login prompt on Linux IRQ mode

AKASH G J akashgj91 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 17:54:28 AEDT 2019

Hi all,

We are using BMC Aspeed AST-2500 in our motherboard with OpenBMC firmware.
'obmc-console' is used to get host messages over BMC. obmc-console.conf
looks like

*lpc-address = 0x3f8sirq = 4local-tty = ttyS4local-tty-baud = 115200*

BIOS serial redirection is enabled over COM port 0 (*0x3f8, sirq=4,
baudrate=115200*) for super-IO.

we set */dev/ttyS0* in CentOS to work in polling mode by making its *irq=0*
using the following command

$ setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart 16550a irq 0

Now we are getting CentOS login prompt on SOL.

When we change /dev/ttyS0 back to interrupt mode with irq=4, we are not
getting login prompt on SOL.

Whether anything is required to be done in OpenBMC firmware/BIOS to enable
irq mode for SOL ?

Thanks,

Akash