Moving the WebUI to Vue; Repo vs Branch

Gunnar Mills gmills at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Dec 19 03:00:38 AEDT 2019

Hi All,

This is a follow on to previous discussions of moving the GUI away from
AngularJS and to a new framework, Vue, that was discussed on the list
and in the GUI design workgroup meeting.

See:
https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2019-September/018299.html
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/GUI-Design-work-group

The team here had some questions about Vue and wanted to answer some of
our and the community concerns about moving to Vue, so over the last few
weeks, our team has spent time working on a Vue prototype. If you are
interested, https://github.com/gtmills/phosphor-webui-vue

This prototype has a few working panels and builds with the current
webui recipe,
https://github.com/gtmills/openbmc/commit/de6e2daef54fa5ace473a42b9ff9014cc9cb02ba

IBM is committed to moving the WebUI to Vue.
Is anyone opposed to moving to Vue?

Should this work be done in a separate repo?

Or a separate branch in phosphor-webui, that would be merged into the
master branch once this Vue rewrite becomes functionally equivalent to
the current AngularJS application?

Would anyone stay on the current AngularJS application?

We plan to maintain the current AngularJS application until the Vue
rewrite becomes functionally equivalent, would anyone maintain the
AngularJS application after such a time?

Thanks,
Gunnar