Firmware update error: Cannot UBI create volume

Adriana Kobylak anoo at linux.ibm.com
Wed Dec 18 04:01:06 AEDT 2019

On 2019-12-17 03:52, rgrs wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a strange behavior where only one image is visible in webUI.
> I get UBI "no space left" errors when I try to update/flash new image.
> I dont have steps to reproduce and dont know how my BMC ended up in
> this state.
>
> How do I recover from this error? /proc/mtd shows all
> partitions/volumes properly.
> Is there any way to recover alternate partition without erasing SPI
> from uboot?

Seems there's an 'orphan' volume which you can manually delete to make
space. A while back there was an issue at some point where not all the
volumes were deleted during a firmware update.

> root at obmc:~# ubinfo -d 4 -n 1
> Volume ID: 1 (on ubi4)
> Type: static
> Alignment: 1
> Size: 43 LEBs (2812544 bytes, 2.6 MiB)
> Data bytes: 2767008 bytes (2.6 MiB)
> State: OK
> Name: kernel-7e7e1530

This seems to be the 'orphan' since there's not a corresponding
'rofs-7e7e1530' volume, you can manually delete it with "ubirmvol
/dev/ubi4 -n 1". You can also list all the volumes of a device with
"ubinfo -a -d 0" for example.