[EXTERNAL] Re: BMC update via TFTP

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Wed Dec 11 08:10:53 AEDT 2019

On 12/10/19 12:58 PM, Neeraj Ladkani wrote:
> Are there any thoughts to get rid of BMC reset to trigger FW update? I understand FW reset is required after the update.

I'm not sure I understand the question.  I think the answer depends on
the [Software.VersionPurpose][1].
For VersionPurpose=BMC or System, the BMC must be reset.
For VersionPurpose=Host, PSU, or Other, I don't know why the BMC would
need to be reset.

Do you want to be able to update non-BMC firmware without having to
reset the BMC?

- Joseph

[1]:
https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/blob/master/xyz/openbmc_project/Software/Version.interface.yaml