*Request For Feedback*: TimeOwner in phosphor-timemanager

Pine, Kathryn ElaineX kathryn.elainex.pine at intel.com
Wed Dec 11 05:47:38 AEDT 2019

> Do we need this going forward ?: I am being asked by UX team about the need of this and I mentioned I would get the community feedback on this. Although, I feel this level of granularity gives control over how we can manage time, it would not justify the complexity if the customers don't appreciate it. Removing the TimeOwner would make the code a lot simpler.
Hi,

I am coming from the UX side of how we set the date time settings page up for phosphor-webui downstream recently. We switched our page to use Redfish, here’s how ours is set up now:

There is no longer a “time owner” and the setting is either:
NTPEnabled: true or false
If false, we are not allowing the user to set the time, because the BMC is synching from the host time and therefore any settings we made to the time on the BMC would be overwritten.
If true, we use the NTP server(s) the user provides.

We are testing this currently.