OpenBMC Project metrics

krtaylor kurt.r.taylor at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 00:33:26 AEDT 2019

On 12/4/19 4:33 PM, Andrew Jeffery wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Dec 2019, at 05:14, Kurt Taylor wrote:
>> All, I just posted the project merge metrics for September and
>> October. I will be updating the company/developer lists for November
>> and posting those shortly. Enjoy.
>>
>> https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Project-Metrics
>>
>> NOTE: these metrics should be used *very carefully*. They do not
>> represent the total contributions to the project. We value
>> contributions many that do not show up in these charts, including
>> reviews, mail list involvement, IRC involvement, etc.
>
> Given all the caveats and the lopsided view the graphs display, what
> are we trying to achieve by graphing the metric of commits per company?

"What gets measured, gets managed" I am a firm believer of this simple
quote. Measuring a project always improves it. That, and I have been
asked to start gathering metrics from several of our contributing
companies. They appreciate it.

> It's also not clear to me what the inputs to these graphs are, for instance
> whether changes to Linux, u-boot, qemu or other major projects that we
> consume and contribute to are included or whether it's just repositories
> under the openbmc org on github. If we're excluding upstream projects,
> why?

It is only for contributions under openbmc. Other projects have been
excluded simply because they have their own project metrics. For example:

Linux:
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/2016/08/the-top-10-developers-and-companies-contributing-to-the-linux-kernel-in-2015-2016/

uboot:
https://osfc.io/uploads/talk/paper/31/2019_State_U-Boot_development_report.pdf

*Really nice* interactive openstack stats gui: https://www.stackalytics.com/

> Where are the scripts to reproduce the graphs? Can you contribute them
> to openbmc-tools?

Eventually yes, if my employer will let me do more upstream. :) But, the
data is publicly available, you can get it yourself from gerrit. Simply
go to our gerrit dashboard and search something like: " status:merged
AND after:<date> AND before:<date> AND NOT topic:autobump AND
owner:<gerrit id> "

I appreciate your feedback, I will make the specifics of what is
measured and how it is done more clear on the project metrics wiki page.

Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)