GUI Design Workgroup Notes and Next meeting

Derick Montague Derick.Montague at ibm.com
Fri Dec 6 10:13:18 AEDT 2019

Thank you to everyone that attended the workgroup. It was one of our most productive meetings to date. I am excited about the path forward. Below you will find all the notes, as well as a link to the wiki.

One of the action items was to try and meet again before our next scheduled meeting on 12/18/19. There may be a few community group members that will be out for the upcoming holiday season.

Kathy - Are there any days and times next week that will work for you? I will find time on our calendars so that we can compare the Server LED mockups.

Link to wiki: https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/GUI-Design-work-group

Attendees
- Kathy Pine (Intel)
- Yoshie Muranaka (IBM)
- Jandra Aranguren (IBM)
- Ryan Arnell (IBM)
- Mira Murali (IBM)
- Dixsie Wolmers (IBM)
- Jen Spatz (IBM)
- Derick Montague (IBM)
- Nicole Conser (IBM)
- Rahul Maheshwari (IBM)
- Gunnar Mills (IBM)

Notes

Transition to VueJS
- AngularJS sunsets on 6/21 and IBM has proposed to the community mailing list on multiple occasions that we want to migrate the front-end framework from AngularJs to Vue.

- Kathy believes that Intel is onboard with the framework migration and is going to check with Intel team and finalize by the next workgroup meeting on 12/18

- IBM is working on a Vue prototype

- Gunnar is planning to send an email to the community to discuss the need for a new branch since the migration will be a complete rewrite

Goals and Improvements

- The change to Vue will allow for the workgroup to find a base design consensus that works for the community

- The Vue rewrite will be structured to minimize the effort needed to customize the product downstream. If for some reason the Vue rewrite was not the right path forward, the phosphor-webui codebase will need to be rewritten to remove the Foundation component library and rewrite the majority of the structural layer to take advantage of the Bootstrap component library. Currently, both Bootstrap and Foundation are included in the library.

- Jandra and Kathy are creating mockups of the Server LED page that will be used to find consensus on the differences in design of the global header and primary navigation components.

- Derick will try to set up a meeting prior to 12/18 due to holiday vacation schedules. If we can't meet prior to 12/18, the design consensus may have to wait for the next meeting which would be 1/15/20 due to first scheduled meeting falling on New Years day.

- Discussed the value in a style guide for future design and development. More discussion is needed, but there is consensus that this guide will benefit any future GUI designers and developers to be able to ramp up quickly on the GUI architecture and best practices. This is a secondary effort that IBM is happy to take ownership of.

- We will need to determine where this documentation lives. It is possible to use VuePress and serve a living style guide using Github pages from the existing documentation repo. More conversation with the community is required prior to moving forward with this initiative.