Question for ACPI status

Vernon Mauery vernon.mauery at linux.intel.com
Sat Aug 24 06:10:53 AEST 2019

On 23-Aug-2019 09:18 AM, Payne Yang wrote:
>Hi Team,
>
>Is there any ACPI service to update the ACPI state ?
>I could find that the property of ACPI state is defined in dbus, and the ipmi command is also done in package "phosphor-host-ipmid".
>https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-host-ipmid/blob/b90a53280c74e8c65e8dc58c8964d93a08cfd65e/apphandler.cpp#L202
>
>However, I could not find other services to update the property "ACPIPowerState".
>https://github.com/search?q=org%3Aopenbmc+ACPIPowerState&type=Code

That is because the host is the only entity that should be modifying
that property.

>Do I miss something ?
>If yes, please help to share your comment or suggestion:)

According to the IPMI specification:
	The Set ACPI Power State command can also be used as a mechanism for
	setting elements of the platform management subsystem to a
	particular power state. This is an independent setting that may not
	necessarily match the actual power state of the system. This command
	is used to enable the reporting of the power state, it does not
	control or change the power state.

>If no, it seems to me that I have to write a service as ACPI state monitor.

Your particular platform may have different needs than other platforms
running OpenBMC. A platform that needs to effect system-wide changes
based on the Host-reported state (or possibly intended state) could
listen for the property changed signal for the ACPIPowerState property
and take action.

But as the command is currently written, it conforms to the IPMI
specification. There just happens to be no public consumers of that
property.

--Vernon