Persistent storage of AssetTag

Troy.Lee at vertiv.com Troy.Lee at vertiv.com
Fri Aug 23 19:28:32 AEST 2019

Hi,

We met an issue about persistent storage of AssetTag.
AssetTag is managed by phosphor-inventor-manager, and it was defined with assettag.yaml.
Though we could update the AssetTag with DCMI command over IPMI or DBus, but the value will not retain after BMC reboot.

If we use Notify over DBus, I could see the value is stored in /var/lib/phosphor-inventory-manager/xyz/openbmc_project/inventory/system/xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Decorator.AssetTag.
After phosphor-inventor-manager started, it first deserialize from AssetTag json file from Manager::restore(), and then it be overwritten with default value in Manager::run().
The issues seems to be related to the startup event with actions name of "createObjects".

Does this behavior work as expect in OpenBMC? (AssetTag become empty string after reboot)
Does anyone have suggestion how to change the YAML to have persistent storage for Asset Tag?

Reference:
- assettag.yaml: https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/meta-phosphor/recipes-phosphor/inventory/phosphor-inventory-manager-assettag/assettag.yaml
- manager::restore(): https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-inventory-manager/blob/ded627c42f5e5319e3704fff742a0227c05f00a9/manager.cpp#L355-L359
- manager::run(): https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-inventory-manager/blob/master/manager.cpp#L114-L117
- Issue#2867: https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/issues/2867

Thanks,
Troy Lee
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may contain confidential and privileged information protected by law. If you received this e-mail in error, any review, use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of the e-mail is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies from your system.