Alternative to the filesystem overlay

Terry Duncan terry.s.duncan at linux.intel.com
Wed Aug 21 10:56:32 AEST 2019

On 8/16/19 2:09 AM, Alexander A. Filippov wrote:

> Most of these issues can be solved by the simple shell scripts. We could modify
> the initramfs/init scenario to exec these scripts at the moment when ROFS and
> RWFS have mounted but are not combined to OVERLAY yet.
>
> Of course, this method doesn't prevent an occurrence of any new issues of this
> type but brings an easy way to solve them.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alexander

Possibly the overlay FS is not expecting and does not support the ROFS
to change as it does when a new build adds a file to an existing
directory. When this occurs an overlayed file in the same directory
could cause corruption in the directory. Are you suggesting scripts that
detect a change to the underlying FS and attempt to patch the overlay?

Thanks,
Terry