Policy on Tools Posting

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Mon Aug 19 10:04:52 AEST 2019

> Is OpenBMC more
> minimalist “Alpine Linux” or fully loaded, ready-to-go “Ubuntu”?

OpenBMC is a meta distribution, in the same way that Yocto is ("The Yocto
Project. It's not an embedded Linux distribution, it creates a custom one for
you").

OpenBMC is intended to be (heavily?) adapted to the requirements of your
environment. It exists to provide a set of tools that you can pick and choose
from in developing your environment (platform)-specific BMC distribution.
The hope is that at least some of what the project provides is useful to you,
and that we can work together on making better tools for everyone in the
community.

> What’s the dividing line between “Core OpenBMC” and “stuff you need to
> find or build yourself” where the OpenBMC community is aware, but
> hands-off?

There isn't really a line, and that's somewhat the point. I think the reality
is the project is a lot more fluid in that regard than you're expecting it to be.

We're helping each-other out by coming to an understanding of everyone's
requirements and trying to develop interfaces and tools on the common
ground. This way we can leverage our collective experience and
development efforts.

Andrew