New Repo Creation Request

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Tue Aug 13 03:12:15 AEST 2019

at 8:51 AM, Santosh Puranik <santosh.puranik.ibm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Brad,
>
> Could you create two new repositories:
>
> ipz-vpd-parser : Parser application for IPZ format VPD.
>
> keyword-vpd-parser : Parser application for keyword format VPD.
>
> The design document that details these applications is here:
>
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/22491
>
> Thanks,
>
> Santosh

Hi Santosh

The design calls for additional systemd services and applications (not
necessarily additional git repositories).  Can the new applications and
systemd services be hosted in the existing openpower-vpd-parser
repository?  We have an awful lot of repos as it is and these new
applications seem like a good fit to go with the existing ones in
openpower-vpd-parser.

I’m envisioning a repository that supports parsing a number of different
fru data formats.  Support for the different formats can be turned on or
off with meson options or autoconf options.   The specifics of how the code
would be organized within the build process for openpower-vpd-parser I’d
leave to you and the current openpower-vpd-parser maintainer (Deepak).

We could rename the repository and/or recipe to something more general if
it is just the name that is off-putting.  Open to suggestions there - how
about phosphor-fru-parser or just fru-parser or vpd-parser?

thx - brad