phosphor-logging plugins vs new daemons

Matt Spinler mspinler at linux.ibm.com
Fri Apr 26 04:11:44 AEST 2019

Hi,

We have some work coming up where we need to create different formats of
error logs based on the phosphor logging error log items that are created.
We can accomplish this by either creating a separate daemon that listens
for D-Bus signals for new log entries, or we come up with a plugin
architecture for phosphor-log-manager where we let libs register functions
in certain points, like before/after a log is created/deleted.

At this point we are leaning toward the plugin route, as apparently
there was some discussion at the last OCP that recommended this.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any leanings either way, or any other
ideas before we start on a design document?

Thanks!
Matt