DBus interface for Hypervisor State

Deepak Kodihalli dkodihal at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Apr 22 16:09:05 AEST 2019

On 19/04/19 11:23 AM, Sampa Misra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We (IBM) have a requirement to maintain the state of hypervisor/virtual
> machine monitor in the bmc for several reasons like
> 1. Representing the state at bmc for logging purpose
> 2. To be aware that communication to hypervisor from bmc is possible
>
> The states are usually kind of standard states like hypervisor booting,
> boot completed, partitions running etc. We are planning to write a dbus
> interface for this one and wondering whether it can fit in the phosphor
> layer or open power layer or be just an IBM interface. The decision
> would be taken based on the interest of the community to use the interface.
>
> Thanks
> Sampa

We spoke about this a bit on IRC. Based on that discussion and some more
thinking, I believe this is what we can do :

- We already have a couple of interfaces to indicate the firmware boot
progress (State.Boot.Progress) and the operating system/hypervisor's
boot progress (State.OperatingSystem.Status). These are implemented by
the host state manager application.

- What you need now are a couple of new states to indicate the
os/hypervisor ready to boot and boot completed. These can just be
additions to the State.OperatingSystem.Status interface.

Thanks,
Deepak