Redfish OEM commands in OpenBMC - OpenBMC extensions to the Redfish standard

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Wed Apr 17 13:33:31 AEST 2019

On 2019-04-16 14:02, Andrew Geissler wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> As more and more of us are implementing Redfish within OpenBMC we are
> starting
> to run into situations where the function we need to implement is not
> available
> in the current Redfish schemas.
>
> We've been joining DMTF workgroups and starting to get familiar with
> the process
> but, if OpenBMC upstreaming is considered slow, it's looking like
> upstreaming
> to the DMTF could be even slower.
>
> So my question is, are we taking a no OEM policy within OpenBMC? Or are
> we going
> to take a more flexible approach. Similar to openbmc/linux, as long as
> you're
> working upstream with the DMTF on your changes, OEM would be
> acceptable?

Good questions!

A third approach: At the OpenBMC project level, we document, discuss,
and agree on "OpenBMC extensions to the Redfish standard".  Once
approved, we can simultaneously (a) implement the extensions and (b)
attempt to upstream them to DMTF.  ==> If the extensions are accepted,
celebrate!  If not, ... we'll have more work.

- Joseph