Version and Functional FRU fields for motherboard and membuf

George Keishing gkeishin at in.ibm.com
Fri Sep 21 17:38:38 AEST 2018

> By the way, what is at all the meaning and purpose of the 'Functional'
property? Is it an indicator of a component functioning properly, or is it
a 'handle' to turn a component off before hot removal/replacement?
functioning.  so Functional is a 'status' and not a 'control'.

> There is no description anywhere that we could find.

https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/blob/master/xyz/openbmc_project/State/Decorator/OperationalStatus.interface.yaml

The `Functional` property means if a FRU is functional or not, e.g. if a
DIMM
is plugged but has problem, it will be garded. At that time, the DIMM is
`Present`, but not `Functional`.

For this case, I think the test code shall be updated to skip the checks
for
Functional, Version on specific FRU items.
functional at least, but yes for the use case where it leads to `Present`,
but not `Functional`,  there is no skipping logic for a given particular
FRU's.
detect the garded FRU if there is standard method before its run and skip
it.
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc-test-automation/issues and describe
more so that the test community can look at this and address the changes
it may need.

Thanks and Regards,
   George Keishing

From:   Lei YU <mine260309 at gmail.com>
To:     Alexander Amelkin <a.amelkin at yadro.com>
Cc:     OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc at lists.ozlabs.org>
Date:   09/21/2018 12:17 PM
Subject:        Re: Version and Functional FRU fields for motherboard and
membuf
Sent by:        "openbmc"
<openbmc-bounces+gkeishin=in.ibm.com at lists.ozlabs.org>

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 6:33 PM Alexander Amelkin <a.amelkin at yadro.com>
wrote:

> Sivas, Lei? Any chance to get an answer to this? The test still fails
for us and we can't decide whether we should disable the test or add thos
properties to motherboard and membuf objects.

Ping @Sivas again for comment.