OEM Boot Option 96

Alexander Amelkin a.amelkin at yadro.com
Sat Sep 15 02:34:39 AEST 2018

There is a function in OpenPOWER Firmware (petitboot) to override network settings.

The function is configurable via IPMI OEM boot parameter 96, which is supported by both OpenBMC and AMI.

I'd like to add support for that into `ipmitool`, but I'd like your comments on how to do it best.

According to IPMI specification, OEM boot parameter handling depends on the Manufacturer ID returned by Get Device ID command. Since petitboot can be paired with either AMI or OpenBMC, and both of them may be running on hardware made by different vendors (potentially reporting different Manufacturer IDs), my current idea to add an option to `ipmitool` to override the Manufacturer ID. The question is: what ID to use for this boot parameter in `ipmitool`? My best guess so far is IBM as the command format is specific to IBM's petitboot. Any objections?

Alexander.