Sensor alarm logging in IPMI SEL

Benjamin Fair benjaminfair at google.com
Wed Sep 12 08:16:03 AEST 2018

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 6:23 AM Patrick Venture <venture at google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 8:03 PM Lei YU <mine260309 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The existing phosphor-dbus-monitor should be able to do that.
> > It requires a yaml config to define the watches and actions.
> >
> > See [witherspoon example][1], that watches the properties (ThrottleProcTemp,
> > ThrottleProcPower, ThrottleMemTemp) on /org/open_power/control/occ0, and log
> > the related events.
> >
> > 1. https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/meta-openbmc-machines/meta-openpower/meta-ibm/meta-witherspoon/recipes-phosphor/events/witherspoon-events-policy/config.yaml
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 3:53 AM Benjamin Fair <benjaminfair at google.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > We are looking for a way to log and report sensor events such as
> > > over-temperature alarms and voltage regulator failures using the BMC.
> > > The IPMI SEL seems like a good approach, as it matches industry
> > > standards. There is already existing infrastructure for SEL in
> > > OpenBMC, so implementing this seems like it would only require
> > > modifying a daemon like sensord from the lm-sensors project to report
> > > alarms over dbus.
> > >
> > > Does this sound reasonable? Has anyone else already started working on
> > > something similar?
>
> So the phosphor-hwmon daemon itself has the notion of a configured
> threshold where if the value is beyond some point it sets the dbus
> property for that sensor.  It doesn't yet, unless I've missed some
> patches, respond to a hwmon sensor's alerts.  That may be a useful
> feature to develop into phosphor-hwmon.
>
> Patrick
>

> > > Thanks,
> > > Benjamin

Thanks for the replies!

It looks like phosphor-dbus-monitor would be able to do this, but the YAML file
would require a separate entry for each threshold on each sensor, which doesn't
seem like the best approach.

Patrick's idea of adding this functionality to phosphor-hwmon looks
interesting, so I've written up a design proposal for that and uploaded it to
Gerrit here: https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/12700

Feel free to take a look if you're interested and add any feedback you might
have.

Thanks,
Benjamin