SOL Logging

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.ibm.com
Mon Sep 10 16:52:46 AEST 2018

Ed Tanous <ed.tanous at intel.com> writes:
> On 09/04/2018 05:07 PM, Emily Shaffer wrote:
>> I wonder if there's a different and more useful way we can provide the
>> console scrollback. Thinking about this, it's not just a GUI issue,
>> right - we deliver our console over TCP to a client elsewhere and would
>> have the same dedupe issues if we needed to start providing backlog.
>
> Correct, this isn't _just_ a webui issue.  It happens on all the
> available interfaces (SSH, HTML5, and obmc-console-client)
>
>> Speaking with almost no experience implementing server-side sockets, is
>> it possible for us to keep that ring buffer in the console socket as well?
>
> obmc-console already keeps a ring-buffer style log of all the previous
> characters.  The easiest to implement answer, which is probably good
> enough for most cases, would be to simply make obmc-console barf up the
> saved console log ring buffer when any new client connects.  This will
> have problems if your control characters have run off the end of the
> buffer, and the console would appear to quickly replay your last X
> characters worth of interactions, which isn't desired.
>
> I could also imagine a case where this isn't the desired behavior if
> you're using automation to interact with SSH/SOL, so it might need to be
> selectable by the client or have some kind of reasonable workaround.

Yeah, if we got some random amount of previous console text over IPMI
SoL or SSH host console, I can imagine that all my CI scripts would
pretty spectacularly blow up.

For the Web UI though, I can see that keeping something like a tmux
session would be good though.
--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.