Community Code of Conduct

Patrick Venture venture at google.com
Fri Oct 12 08:26:26 AEDT 2018

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 2:21 PM Emily Shaffer <emilyshaffer at google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2018, 7:52 PM Patrick Venture <venture at google.com> wrote:

>> > Re: Community Manager, I am already partially doing that in an
>> > unofficial sense, but for an escalation path, I would highly recommend
>> > first reaching out to the TSC. Any inappropriate activity or harassment
>> > must be taken care of immediately and the community leadership would be
>> > tasked to take care of that.

>> > This would absolutely require that the person be put on notice. Maybe it
>> > will help, but I have also never seen this behavior work for anyone
>> > trying to harass anyone. It has always backfired on the person doing the
>> > harassing in every case I can think of (I have been involved in a couple).

>> > As I said in my previous email, we already have a CoC under the LF
>> > policies, but I am not opposed to adopting a new one. That said, do we
>> > need to improve the existing one? Is there something missing? Has anyone
>> > compared the two? Did I just sign up to do that?  :)
>> >
>> > Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)
>>
>> I just read over the LF CoC and I think it's pretty solid.
>

> I'd say my only serious concern about the LF one is that it directs concerns to someone outside of the project, first. It seems like we can expedite responses if we encourage folks to report via the TSC or community manager first, and escalate to the LF community manager if necessary.

True, but one would typically see this be a level thing -- if
something isn't severe, keep it in house, otherwise escalate. But who
defines when to escalate or what's severe or,... yeah, it is nice to
keep some aspect in the project so that minor things might be worked
out more quickly.. but I don't know.

> As a side point, we should make it more clear that we adhere to the LF CoC. I would be comfortable mentioning it explicitly in some doc in docs/ or the openbmc/openbmc readme, or something. Looking for LF membership and then from there to the CoC isn't very clear to me.

We should definitely point to something somewhere.