Infrastructure Workgroup?

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Fri Nov 2 13:22:16 AEDT 2018

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 at 02:24, Andrew Geissler <geissonator at gmail.com> wrote:

> Based on some recent discussion in this area, I'm contemplating
> forming an Infrastructure workgroup. The focus would be on improving
> our CI infrastructure and the scripts and tools around it.
>
> There's been a lot of great community effort already around our CI
> build scripts.
>
> Some thoughts on goals:
> - Documenting the existing flow
> - Alternatives to existing flow (ability to use freely provides clouds
> for open source projects, ...)
> - Managing the Jenkins nodes - Bringing new nodes online quickly
> (chef, puppet, ansible?)
> - Managing and optimizing the CI flow (repository CI, meta CI, openbmc CI)
> -- Which systems do we build?
> - Process for adding hardware CI (mechanism for individuals to add HW
> CI to gerrit commits)
> - Optimizations to existing scripts (docker building, CI, QEMU)
> - Gerrit, Jenkins, and build node periodic update process
> - Overall maintenance and responsibilities for infrastructure
>
> Thoughts or interest?

I'm interested.

I wrote the scripts that were used as the basis for our CI. I recently
revisited them to fix an issue, and there is a lot of bitrot there. I
would be interested in seeing that resolved.

I would also like to help enable the compute power we do have to be
used effectively. Currently we have a lot of CPU cores sitting idle
while there are jobs in the queue.

Cheers,

Joel