common bmc mailbox driver

Cyril Bur cyrilbur at gmail.com
Tue May 22 20:37:49 AEST 2018

On 11 May 2018 at 01:59, Andrew Jeffery <andrew at aj.id.au> wrote:
> Hi Eugene,
>
> On Thu, 10 May 2018, at 22:34, Eugene.Cho at dell.com wrote:
>> Hey Cyril,
>>    I was recently following your upstream submission attempt for the
>> aspeed mbox/mailbox, was wondering if there was been any progress since?
>
> FYI Cyril's moved on from IBM and OpenBMC, and so may have lost some motivation here.

Hi, sorry for the delayed response. Andrew is correct here.
Unfortunately I won't be continuing the upstreaming efforts for the
driver as I won't have the time to rewrite it thrice more but more
importantly I don't have the ability to do anything more than a
compile test.

You are more than welcome to take whatever is useful or was useful and
do with it whatever you want.

>> Reason I ask - is Nuvoton also has a "mailbox" for bmc<->host
>> communication, which does the same thing (shared memory + interrupts
>> both ways), and was wondering if we could just have 1 driver for both,
>> instead 2 separate drivers.
>>
>> Glancing at the aspeed driver, only key difference I see is the setting
>> and handling the interrupt. Thoughts on this?
>
> (Somewhat unfortunately) the ASPEED mailbox driver isn't upstream yet due to push-back from the upstream mailbox subsystem maintainer*. Similar to the misc driver it sounds like we should work together to get things moving.
>
> * It turns out the mailbox subsystem as it stands doesn't fit our needs - it's written from the perspective of the host kernel communicating with some firmware black box on the other side of the mailbox, rather than the kernel of interest *being* the black box.

I wish you all the best of luck overcoming these     problems.

--
Cyril

p.s. Apologies if this comes through as html or anything strange -
I've resorted to using the gmail web interface.