quanta q71l not booting with 4.13

Vernon Mauery vernon.mauery at linux.intel.com
Wed May 16 02:22:16 AEST 2018

On 15-May-2018 07:26 AM, Patrick Venture wrote:
>Hi;
>
>So, i have a couple theories to test but before I ran them down I
>figured I'd just ask here.  The quanta-q71l won't boot if the BMC is
>running the 4.13 kernel from openbmc.  I'm theorizing that the spi mux
>is flipped somehow (maybe a default pin value is getting flipped) or
>something else is preventing the host from reading its flash.
>
>Has anyone experienced anything like this on their platform?

The 4.13 kernel has a bunch of new stuff that has to be worked out in
device tree to make pins and clocks and resets work. We had trouble
getting our hosts booting as well when we first migrated to 4.13. We had
to fix a few things in our device tree to get the espi clock working. I
think it also included a patch that Jae sent to this list for the clock
and reset driver. This may be an entirely different issue, but that was
our story.

+                       espi: espi at 1e6ee000 {
+                               compatible = "aspeed,ast2500-espi-slave";
+                               reg = <0x1e6ee000 0x100>;
+                               interrupts = <23>;
+                               status = "disabled";
+                               clocks = <&syscon ASPEED_CLK_GATE_ESPICLK>;
+                               pinctrl-names = "default";
+                               pinctrl-0 = <&pinctrl_espi_default>;
+

I think we also had trouble with the host video showing up after the
host powered on, this was also dependent on some clock control settings
in the dts. But Ed tells me this is a AST2400, so video is not your
problem.

--Vernon