Exposing POST codes

Rob Lippert rlippert at google.com
Tue Mar 27 09:57:57 AEDT 2018

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 11:48 PM, Stewart Smith <stewart at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Rob Lippert <rlippert at google.com> writes:
> > I implemented port 80h POST codes for POWER9 hostboot a while back:
> > https://github.com/open-power/hostboot/blob/
> c93bef31ae6ce781f9e0a11bb9224b6728ff120f/src/usr/
> initservice/istepdispatcher/istepdispatcher.C#L2312
> >
> > On Zaius machines we are using that support with Patrick's snoop daemon
> and
> > a separate daemon that receives the code via dbus and outputs it over the
> > front 7seg debug display.
> > It has proven useful for getting early error/debug reports from
> technicians
> > at scale e.g. "5 machines stopped at code 35h, 2 at 72h" provides a quick
> > overview of what the problems are for me to debug further (since I have
> the
> > decoder ring, and the istep names would be useless to them anyways).
>
> Neat!
>
> Anything we should add to skiboot or petitboot environment for this? Or
> do we not fail in IPL enough to warrant it?

I've never seen a hang in skiboot/petitboot yet so haven't done the work
there to add POST codes yet...

If you look at the picture published at openpower conference you can see
the POST code display on the machines in a rack:
https://www.top500.org/news/openpower-gathers-momentum-with-major-deployments/

All the machines in that picture are at 0x9b which is end of hostboot aka
"good" :)
(except the one that seems to be soft off for some reason... oops)

-Rob