IPMI SOL performance

Emily Shaffer emilyshaffer at google.com
Tue Mar 20 05:47:41 AEDT 2018

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 9:27 AM Stewart Smith <stewart at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Emily Shaffer <emilyshaffer at google.com> writes:
> >> Is it a possibility to just increase the petitboot timeout? Do you have
> an
> > idea of how much we are missing it by?
>
> Worst case (may be different currently due to improvements in ipmi
> stack) was about 10-15 minutes.

Yikes.

> We have different issues on the SSH console though, we can end up
> dropping chunks of console output under load (BMC CPU load or high
> console usage).
>
> I think Jeremy can relive the trauma of heading into the TTY layer, but
> I wonder if the solution here has something to do with having a
> end-to-end flow control story.
>
> --
> Stewart Smith
> OPAL Architect, IBM.

I was looking in the spec and I saw that the packet length for SOL is
configurable in the session header, but I didn't find the layout for the
header.  It's definitely not configurable past 255B?

It really doesn't sound like IPMI is well-suited to this task.  Tom, can
you post a proposal for the OEM command you'd like to see, or if you've
tried one internally?