Sdbusplus-based Shared Library

Tanous, Ed ed.tanous at intel.com
Tue Mar 20 05:24:44 AEDT 2018

Have you tried prototyping to see how much space you'll save?  I suspect it won't be a lot for a few reasons.

1. A lot of sdbusplus is template instantiations, and unless we forward declare a number of base template instantiations for use in the shared library, most of the application code will end up in the binary anyway.
2. Sdbus calls into libsystemd, which is already a shared library.
3. The filesystem is already compressed, so I suspect that any duplicated methods that aren't inlined will have the same binary code pattern and get duplicated by the squashfs filesystem.

Those are all the reasons why I haven't really looked into it for the dbus stuff;  I can't speak to the timer stuff, but I suspect the wins in size there are going to be small.

Normal disclaimer, on this specific library, I haven't prototyped anything, just done back of the napkin guesses, so I could very easily be missing something here.

-Ed