IPMI SOL performance

Tom Joseph tomjose at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Mar 19 22:13:39 AEDT 2018

Hello,

I wanted to discuss about an issue related to IPMI SOL. Petitboot has a
menu to select the boot option, it has a timeout after which the default
boot option is selected and boot continues.The observation is that when
verbose debug traces are enabled in the hostboot, by the time petitboot
options are printed on the SOL console the menu timeout expires and the
user is not able to change the boot option.

The same issue is not hit by the ssh console on port 2200 and does not
miss the timeout of the petitboot menu option.

IPMI uses UDP protocol and the maximum size of theĀ  SOL payload per
packet according to the specification is 255 bytes. Also the ack for
each of the IPMI packet requires a command lookup
and execution. Compared with IPMI SOL, ssh supports 64kb payloads and
ack does not need an application lookup, so the round-trip timing is
faster. IPMI specification for SOL is written with UART speed as
reference, but the VUART pushes the data at a much faster rate.

One suggestion that I came across support an OEM payload size for SOL,
which is higher than 255 bytes, to get a better throughput. Please do
share other ideas to tackle this problem and improve performance.

Regards,
Tom