Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Tue Jun 19 10:09:50 AEST 2018

Hi Akash,

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018, at 14:52, AKASH G J wrote:
> Hi Team,
>

> I tried to boot the Linux image and root file system into a board
> containing BMC Aspeed ast-2500. The booting process failed with following
> errors.
>

> *[ 6.186180] No filesystem could mount root, tried: [ 6.186186] squashfs*
> *6.194822]* *Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(1,0)*
>

> I think the problem with *squashfs* root file system image. How can I
> create *cpio.lzma.u-boot* image for root file system using bitbake.

You can create a cpio.lzma.u-boot image using instructions in the commit message of this change:

https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/1957/

Hope that helps. If you or your employer have signed the OpenBMC CLA, it might be worth contributing a patch to the docs repo outlining what's required - this is the second time the question has been asked recently.

Andrew