Hackathon - Sept 18th - 20th, 2018

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Thu Jun 7 11:58:22 AEST 2018

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018, at 18:38, Joel Stanley wrote:
> On 6 June 2018 at 08:25, Emily Shaffer <emilyshaffer at google.com> wrote:
> > I'd like to prepare an entry-level talk on various types of testing and
> > tenets for writing good tests, if there's enough interest, considering that
> > there's an overall push for more testing in OpenBMC and some confusion on
> > which kinds of tests we want, and why.  If nobody else is planning to cover,
> > I can also try to dig into what kind of test tooling is available on
> > OpenBMC.
>
> Andrew J gave some IBMers a presentation on testing recently. From
> what I hear it went well.
>
> Andrew, would you like to present that one at the summit? I think it
> would complement Emily's ideas.

Happy to. It was a rubber-meets-the-road introduction to integrating tests into autotools/C++ projects, and practical approaches to developing good test suites by iterating using code coverage metrics, refactoring code to improve testability using GoF patterns, using mocks to isolate test cases and reach un-hit code paths, and turning up the heat on the code using the compiler's sanitizers.

I've uploaded a slide deck here:

https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/files/2018-05-26_automated-testing.pdf

And have one with speaker's notes here:

https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/files/2018-05-26_automated-testing_notes.pdf

If people are interested in me going over it in person lets schedule a session.

Andrew