In-Band Firmware Update

Vernon Mauery vernon.mauery at linux.intel.com
Tue Jul 24 08:18:37 AEST 2018

On 23-Jul-2018 11:13 AM, Patrick Venture wrote:
>I've started to implement the host-tool outside of google3, and
>started splitting up the OEM handler that corresponds with it.
>However, firstly, I've submitted the design for the protocol for
>review, please let me know if you're interested and I'll add you to
>the review.  IIRC, there was at least one interested party outside of
>us.

I am interested in coming up with a common (OpenBMC OEM level) set of
Firmware NetFn commands that will allow all users of OpenBMC to be able
to use common, open-source utilities to do firmware updates. If they are
IPMI commands, this would include in-band (with KCS/BT for
command/control and USB for transfer) or out-of-band (over RMCP+).

Rather than use the OEM NetFn, for firmware updates, we should be using
the Firmware NetFn.  The entire Firmware NetFn is considered to be OEM
per the IPMI spec. I would propose that we simply provide a common
implementation for OpenBMC (as a provider library, of course, so it
could be replaced if a downstream OEM doesn't want it).

--Vernon