7/19 OpenBMC Release Planning WG Meeting Minutes

Kurt Taylor kurt.r.taylor at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 07:44:20 AEST 2018

Thanks everyone, good meeting - let me know if I missed anything.

Agenda for the 26th will be here:

https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Release-Planning

Meeting minutes live here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yo9lZp56jkwDM1eXJRE8p__FqlAjq7qcdIi1W7hAD5Y/edit?usp=sharing

Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)

7/19/18

   -

   Note: call in numbers and info may change frequently for the next few
   weeks, please check your email before assuming the number is the same as
   last week
   -

   Attended (*) Primary company contact
   -

      Kurt Taylor, IBM (WG lead)
      -

      Brad Bishop, IBM
      -

      *Andrew Geissler, IBM
      -

      Kun Yi, Google
      -

      Tao Ren, Facebook
      -

      Maury Zipse, IBM
      -

      Yugi Mani, Microsoft
      -

      *Nancy Yuen, Google
      -

      *Sai Dasari, Facebook
      -

      *James Mihm, Intel
      -

      *Dick Wilkins, Phoenix
      -

   Not attending
   -

      *Ali Larijani, Microsoft
      -

   Review of Agreements from previous meeting (see previous meeting minutes)
   -

   Work items spreadsheet update
   -

      Review of descriptions and ranking
      -

      Discussion to clarify the specific items, add descriptions
      -

   Milestones:
   -

      Design: Mid August
      -

      Code1: Mid September
      -

      Code2: End of October
      -

      Feature freeze: December 3, 2018
      -

      Release: January 21-25, 2019
      -

      Need better definition of what the release milestones are, what they
      are used for
      -

      Concern on the length of the feature freeze duration, Dec 3rd seems
      like too long, unfortunate timing over the holidays observed in December
      -

      Long discussion on release, freeze, branching
      -

      Agreement: 6 month release cycles
      -

      Agreement: 4 weeks before release for feature freeze milestone -
      feature merge complete
      -

      Backlog: Descriptions of milestones, documentation for release
      process agreements
      -

      Backlog: Do we need to move the release out a couple of weeks to move
      freeze past the beginning of the year?
      -

   Release process (master and stable branch)
   -

      Freeze and branch immediately so that development can continue, will
      docs/bugs/testing happen?
      -

      Freeze/test and then branch at release date to encourage all
      developers to test, fix and document - might facilitate a shorter merge
      freeze
      -

      Agreement: Wait until we get closer to the Freeze date to decide on
      the branching approach