KVM Support?

Eddie James eajames at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jul 18 00:06:09 AEST 2018

On 07/17/2018 03:56 AM, Avi.Fishman at nuvoton.com wrote:
> Hi Eddie,
>
> 1. Where is the JPEG HW compression is done?

It is done in the AST2500 hardware, there is a video engine that
captures and compresses the video data from the host. The V4L2
application reads /dev/video0 (which is created by the driver for that
video engine) to grab the JPEG, and sends it after that.

> a. Is it in the V4L driver; the V4L reads the frame buffer compress it and send it via read()?
> b. Or the V4L reads the frame buffer send it via read() and another driver compress it for the VNC server?
> 2. Since VNC RFB supports also other compression protocols, can we use other protocol than JPEG? Hextile for example.

Yes, although I had to submit a patch to libvncserver project to be able
to send JPEGs directly (normally libvncserver can only take RGB
framebuffer, then compress, then send). It may require similar changes
to send already-compressed Hextile data.

> 3. Can we see this driver and application code so we can adopt to our HW?

Sure. Everything necessary is here:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/openbmc/+/11500/ The
linux-aspeed and obmc-ikvm recipes point to the kernel driver additions
and application, respectively.

I will be sending the driver for RFC to the list soon.

Thanks,
Eddie