KVM Support?

Eddie James eajames at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jul 17 01:39:13 AEST 2018

On 07/16/2018 10:01 AM, Avi Fishman wrote:
> Hi Eddie,
>
> Is it based on V4L or also VNC?
> Does it have HW compression or SW only?

Hi,

The driver interface is V4L2, though I am just using read() calls rather
than the streaming interface.
The network interface is VNC, directly sending JPEGs to the clients
rather than using the normal VNC framebuffer update methods.

Compression is done in HW, and then decompression at the client. So CPU
usage on the BMC is kept low, though bandwidth usage is pretty high
because it sends the whole frame every time. Seems to work with any VNC
client that supports JPEG compression.

I'm currently working through some input latency problems; seems the
bandwidth usage for the frames causes huge delays for sending the input
events from the client to the server. Other than that it's working well.

Thanks,
Eddie