Technical Debt vs. Precedence vs. Velocity

Vernon Mauery vernon.mauery at linux.intel.com
Sat Jan 20 03:30:28 AEDT 2018

Overall, the openbmc project has done a great job of keeping common
things in common repositories and machine or OEM specific things in
separate repositories. But there are a few (because it happens) places
where technical debt has accrued. I want to support getting this sort of
stuff fixed so we can have a shiny project, but at what expense?
Velocity. Reality calls and I was not scoped to fix old code, only to
write a new feature. I am not the only one running into this issue, so I
thought it best to start a discussion.

Things like:
1) Incorrect coding style (whitespace, braces, upper/lower/snake/camel)
2) Use of sdbus instead of sdbusplus
3) OEM code in common libraries
4) Lack of proper error handling
5) Use of insecure functions without proper range checking (memcpy,
strcpy, etc.)
6) Use of printf/fprintf instead of log<>

I am sure there are many other classes of technical debt that I did not
list here. But the point is that the code base does have places where
this sort of stuff exists and has not yet been fixed. What should the
official stance be? To me, mixing coding styles in a single file is
worse than having the same wrong coding style in a file. But the best is
if the whole project matches.

If someone contributes and claims that their newly added technical debt
is okay because of precedence, we don't really have a way to hold them
to coming back and fixing the problem.

One way to fix this is to have contributors that want to claim
precedence go and clean up the file FIRST and then come back with a new
clean commit. But that does make for a higher bar for entry in some
cases and possibly slows down velocity.

What say the community members on this?

--Vernon